Sunday, November 29, 2009

Advertising copy Pt. 1

In my short-lived foray into the world of public relations, I got to hone my ad copy skills. It can be a lot of fun, but it is different from most other types of writing. Advertising, whether it's print or television (I didn't get the chance to do a radio advert), requires seeing the big picture before setting off in a specific direction when sitting down to write.

These ads were never used by the college, but I felt they were the best I produced for a single reason. As a community college, the institution has so many different missions and tendrils into so many facets of the community that it's simply overwhelming to try and find a one-sentence or one-word descriptor. My thought with these ads was that the audience learned what it needed to know about the institution, by learning more about the people who worked there and were drawn to it themselves. It would have been just as easy to use the same format with students.

There's actually a much longer story about the "Be inspired" tag line that was one of my greatest disappointments in the job. Suffice it to say that it was all very Jerry Maguire.

(All photos, copy and layout are by me on these.)



No comments:

Post a Comment